Monday, November 1, 2010

Contribution

The contribution I feel I bring to class would be silence.  Silence in this sense wouldn't be sitting in my desk listening to what others are saying and not speaking because I have no interest.  I am silent because I absorb what others are saying and their opinions on whatever we are reading or doing in class. I use others opinions to broaden my horizon and make my perspective on a certain piece of literature better because I can then see it from other points of views than just my own.  Some may say that being quiet and just listening isn't always a good thing because then no one knows what your opinion is.  Well I have to say that I understand where they are coming from, but I feel that always speaking and never listening to what others have to say isn't good either. So as a rule for myself, I try to voice my opinion on some topics and listen to what others have to say on others. I feel that doing both will help me to succeed better in the long run then if I only did one or the other.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel deserves a 200% on this. Basically her essence is captured by this short passage, by this I am obviously saying I totally agree with her blog. She adds a sense of calmness that is needed to balance out the sporadic and chaotic nature that people such as Me, Mike, and Gene bring. As well as a sense of "silence", she is definitely the best listener in our World Literature class. She is always respectful of others and never interrupts someone when they are speaking. Her kindness is something I myself could learn from. Balla Status Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always watch the people who choose their forays into discussion thoughtfully. Most of my best friends are considered quiet by outsiders. I cherish their ability to consider their words--obviously, that is not something I do easily. Silence, serenity, always needed in a happy class. Thanks, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% on what Rachel is saying here. She explains how the silence emitted from her brings a sense of calmness throughout the class. Like she says, however, silence isn't the absence of words but the taking in of information, in which she understands and comprehends the piece of literature. When she does talk though, it always makes sense and is relevant to what we are talking about instead of the constant blabbering seen by the other side of the classroom. So in a way, from what Rachel has explained we must remind ourselves that silence is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Rachel brings silence. She is quiet and attentive, but when she does voice her opinion on different topics in discussion, her opinion is always useful and important for everyone to hear. She provides good insight into the subject, which helps others understand the piece of literature better. She is intelligent and knows her literature. Her silence allows for others to voice their opinions first while she absorbs the information before stating her opinion in the discussion. Silence is a good aspect for everyone to have because it helps us to remember that others need an opportunity to speak while we listen to their words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete