Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Truth

Truth.. A word that evokes sadness, happiness, and many other emotions. Most people are aware of the game people play on Facebook called truth is.. Many say that they want to know the actual truth, but I have seen examples when someone said the honest truth about someone, and they got upset or mad at that person. I feel that this generation and many other generations say that they wish to know the truth about things, but in reality do not understand the gravity of this statement. In the story Allegory of the Cave that we read in class brings up a good point that once someone finds out the truth, they can no longer go back to the ignorance. There is another saying that says Ignorance is Bliss. Well in my opinion I would have to agree. Sure ignorance means that you are unaware of it and that way things could seem happy when really they are falling apart, but being ignorant to that situation doesn't make it bliss or better. I understand that knowing the truth can hurt or be upsetting, but in the long run you would be better off. The greatest example I can see of this is with friendships in high school.  Many students will tell you that some of the "friends" they have aren't true friends because they will hear stories about what they say behind their backs. For me I would rather know the truth about why someone is talking to me or being my "friend" than assume that they are and turn out to not be. For many knowing the truth is not something that they would want and that's okay;however, for me I would rather to know then to not know, no matter the circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very strong blog. I enjoyed it, but it was very negative towards truth. In response, truth isn't always bad and knowing the truth doesn't always make people angry or hate each other. For example, saying to someone you love them is such a strong truth that emulates affection and a feeling of euphoria instead of the dark picture described by the Allegory of the Cave. Truth isn't just a shadow to be lit up on some rare occasion. It is so much more. Ignorant is bliss in some regard, but in the real world ignorance is the unwillingness to deal with reality. In our society, sadly enough the most heard about truths are ones of negative natures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally would rather have the truth than pretend everything is okay. I don't like feeling left out of information and I always want to know what people truly think about me. I would rather know the truth and be unhappy with it then pretend nothing is wrong. The phrase ignorance is bliss should be rephrased ignorance is fake bliss. It is only hiding the truth which usually is not bliss if it is being hidden.

    ReplyDelete