Friday, March 11, 2011

College

Today while we had off at school and everyone was sleeping in I was waking up at 5:45 to get on the road to go to a Spring Open House for University of Maryland. Granted I am one of those people who knew what college they wanted to go to as they were applying, which is a huge advantage. When I went to the Fall open house I  basically knew I was going there and that I was going to major in elementary education. I wouldn't say there was an A-ha moment with University of Maryland the first time I heard about it or even got information on it, but I was definately excited after that fall open house and agreed that the education program was a great one. Today was like 200000x that feeling of excitement. Not only is there only like 40 some days left of my Senior year in highschool, I also got to learn more about the process that my Education major was going to take me in the next four years of my life. The open house started off with an introduction which had some musical entertainment of an acapela group called the "Faux paz" which I have to say were amazing. They were all extremely talented and performed with a lot of energy. Once the other parts of the day happened with the meetings and what not at the building for my major I was so ready to be there in classes, to be at college and living that lifestyle. I am so beyond excited to go to college after today that I can not even explain it, I don't even really want to go back to high school on Monday, even though I know I have to.

College is going to be an amazing experience, and I cant wait to be one of many new freshman as the Class of 2015 to be partaking in this experience in the fall. The feeling of taking classes that may be CORE but you have more options of and then doing classes that involve your intended major is so exciting. The atmosphere is so different than high school, and even though I will miss that part of my life, I can't wait to start my next journey.



4 comments:

  1. Yup. It's happening. And it is proof that high school is not the highlight of your life. You are going to love it. It will be as if your brain is going to explode with all the stuff you are shoving into it, but you cannot wait for the explosion. College is when I knew that I was meant for big things. I can see your smile already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you. When I visited JMU I told my mom she can go home without me because I just wanted to stay! Finally we can begin to take classes that interest us and will help us advance to the things we want to do! I cannot wait to begin the whole new lifestyle and be completely independent, its going to be crazy. I'm smiling and getting excited just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Rachel on your college decision!! I too am almost sure where I want to begin my life after high school, and currently I am in a bind between Villanova University and the University of Pittsburgh. Both are great schools, especially in the field I am interested, but it's such a hard decision. On the topic of college, however, I am truly excited. I cannot wait to go learn new things about stuff that is truly relevant to what I need for my professional career. I mean half of the stuff I learn at St. Marks will not even be applied after we leave. This makes me wonder why aren't we allowed to choose the classes that we are interested in? I guess we will never know the answer. Oh well, congratulations again Rachel on your decision, and wish me luck on mine haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting! I have a little trouble relating, since I'm still waiting on three of my favorite schools, and I'm still not sure exactly how I want to spend my time, but I'm right there with you on being ready to get out of here. Congrats on your decision! I can't imagine what a relief that must be :)

    ReplyDelete