Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sentimental

All my life I have been on of those people who gets sappy when one chapter ends and another begins. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to become a Sophomore in college and to have a new year ahead of me, full of possibilities. But at the same time I can't shake the feeling of that utter sadness that the roommates I had this year will be different when I return. I will be in the same apartment as this past year, and I keep thinking, "Oh, when I return they'll all still be there, same as when I left this past May. It was just a break." But it's not a break, and yes I know that I will still see them, but it's not the same. I love pictures to remember the moments, I'm sappy and get emotional at farewells. So to live in the same apartment, without the same people will be weird to say the least. I know change is good, but I don't want things to change, sure we had our roommate disagreements, but what roommates don't argue at some point. I got extremely lucky with who I roomed with, it could of been terrible, but luckily after living with them for almost a year, they have grown to be people I can depend on and close friends of mine that I confide in. I'll miss being able to walk out of my room and into theirs and say whatever, now I'll have to call or text them to come visit me, or make a night out for all of us to catch up during. I don't know, growing up sucks sometimes, not even the responsibility, but the change. The change of how relationships shift around you, and how fragile they are, or how strong, because now I guess it will mean more when we all get together. I know in some way I am probably being silly, that I should look at this a good thing, which on some level I do. I know it's good to have a break for a little bit and that I have more options to do stuff with since I don't live with them then we may go out and do more, since before we could just walk down the hall. I guess I will find out how it goes, I know it will be fine, I do, but I still know that I will miss living with them. I will be sad to close one chapter to begin another.

2 comments:

  1. I like this because I can relate to it closely. When high school ended and everyone went their separate ways to universities across the UK I almost let it get to me. I think that this is just one of the 'bumps' that we have to get over as we slowly make that transition between youth and adulthood. As a result, I've become a lot more stoical about changes in my life, realising that nothing stays the same for as long as we want it to. Instead you should be focusing on the excitement of what it ahead safe in the knowledge that your former roommates, if they are good friends, will still be around for you even if in another place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am sure that they will still be there, in fact one roommate is only moving down the hall, so it won't be as if she is too far away, just different. But like you said lots of things don't last anywhere near as much as we want them too..such a sad thing indeed.

    ReplyDelete