Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Give them a chance!

This blog post might be slightly different then my previous two blogs about TV shows. However something that has come to my mind this week is about learning different cultures. Being in a world lit class and a world religions class at the same time would probably be the culprits of this idea. In addition to these two classes, I have always had somewhat of a philosophy that learning about other cultures and religions are a good thing not a bad thing. One of my pet peeves would be when people make assumptions about a particular culture or group without even knowing much about it. These assumptions usually do not lead to good outcomes, some examples would be war, violence, and hatred of some people without having just cause to. I have heard more than once people my age and other generations say some comments about certain people or certain cultures that they really had no business to. Yes I am aware that everyone is granted to their own opinion, but I would strongly disagree with their opinion. I know that I wouldn’t appreciate being judged because of superficial things or my background, without any one even knowing me. So in my life I try to not judge others or other ideas or cultures without knowing more about them first. Something my dad once told me is that “we should look at life like a rubix cube. You may see green, red, or blue, but I see white and yellow. Now neither one of us are wrong, but without knowing the other ones perspective then you may be making decisions or judgments on things you don’t fully know or understand.” This has always stuck with me, and since then I try even harder to do what I can to know about every angle before I make a decision or pass judgment.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Today I had a pic of Kublai Khan up on the board for the juniors to see when they were studying Coleridge's poem, and I described his classic Mongol features. I could tell they were confused, so I just said it out loud: All Asian (much less all Chinese) people do not look alike! Some were scandalized that I said it, and others gulped. I am always struck by how white Americans are not comfortable with acknowledging that we are not all the same in certain ways. It is not rude to see and understand we are different. It may be rude to pretend that we aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I noticed you read an art blog. I wonder if you would like this one: http://drawthisdress.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete