Friday, February 25, 2011

The healing power of music

Music has been a wonderful gift that many talented people over the years have given the world. I do not know about you, but I know many people who use music so strongly to help them when they are upset or just in their daily life. I love many types of music, yes I have a select few categories I usually do not like with the occassional exception, but mostly I do not only stay to one genre. I have had many people look at the songs in my itunes and call it a completely random group of songs. I feel music can be an extremely powerful thing if someone is open to what the story of the song is going to tell them, or where they will end up after hearing it. Some songs are just fun to listen to when you are happy and carefree, like the summer songs that everyone loves to hear when it starts to get warmer. Music can tap into memories of certain periods of your life so quickly and can even create the mood you are in. More importantly is I feel that music has the ability to heal. I can not explain the feeling of I get being in your car(or whatever vehicle you have) and blasting the music to the point that you can hear NOTHING else, no thoughts, nothing, just the words and tune that are coming through the speakers. You do not have to be in a car for this to work, having headphones in and turning the music all the way up helps as well. I know that when I have a hard day, or I am upset that after I do this I will miraculously feel a lot better especially if I end up screaming the lyrics, even if to others it doesn't sound good doesn't matter. No the problem doesn't go away just because I sing a song, but sometimes its the best way to just let it all out.

I know that not everyone reacts to music the same way, for example I know that my cousin will hear the lyrics to EVERY song on the first time she listens to it, and I can do this with some songs, but it will usually take me a couple times to hear all the lyrics first. Regardless of how you react to music, it is usually in a positive way, and I feel it helps everyone at some point, and does heal those who let it. So whats that song that you let blast in your car or on your ipod? Is there a song? Or do you react differently to music?

Here is a song that was sent to me recently, and thanks to that person I love listening to it :) I can't guarantee you will all like it who listen to it, but someone may and thats all that matters.

1 comment:

  1. I listened to this all the way home on Friday (6 times?), though most Fridays it's the Stones. Both heal, I think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev5byDGADKs
    P.S. love the song

    ReplyDelete